National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (N.P.D.E.S.)

Sediment ErosionEvery time it rains, thousands of gallons of stormwater enter DeLand's storm sewer system. As the runoff flows across lawns, driveways, parking lots and streets, it collects pollutants such as motor oil, yard clippings, pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers or other toxins. Since stormwater is naturally channeled to our streams, rivers or the underground aquifer, there is no opportunity for treatment to remove pollution. If left unmanaged, this runoff changes both water quality and quantity, affecting our waterways physically, chemically and biologically. It stresses our streams and ages our lakes.

DeLand's Stormwater Pollution Prevention Program (SWPPP) is designed to reduce the pollution and damage caused by stormwater runoff.


Water pollution degrades surface waters making them unsafe for drinking, fishing, swimming, and other activities. As authorized by the Clean Water Act, the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit program controls water pollution by regulating point sources that discharge pollutants into waters of the United States. Point sources are discrete conveyances such as pipes or man-made ditches. Individual homes that are connected to a municipal system, use a septic system, or do not have a surface discharge do not need an NPDES permit; however, industrial, municipal, and other facilities must obtain permits if their discharges go directly to surface waters. In most cases, the NPDES permit program is administered by authorized states. Since its introduction in 1972, the NPDES permit program is responsible for significant improvements to our Nation's water quality. For more information check the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) website.

Air Quality Forecast

Today's and Tomorrow's Forecast - EPA's AirNow. Generally not available until 4 pm. EDT.

What DeLand is doing

  • Sweeping streets, cleaning catch basins and labeling storm drains.
  • Controlling construction site erosion.
  • Inspecting the storm sewer system to find and eliminate pollution sources.
  • Distributing educational materials to the public.

What You Can Do

Here are 10 easy ways you can stop storm water pollution:

  • Recycle your used motor oil. Never pour used motor oil or other hazardous materials into a storm drain. Take household hazardous wastes to household waste drop-off days. Contact Safety/Clean System for more information on recycling and disposal at 407-321-6080.
  • Properly manage and dispose of yard wastes (grass clippings, leaves, etc.) and don't put them in the street, gutter, backyard ditch or a storm drain.
  • Use a proper container for your trash and recyclables. Don't put trash into the street or gutter where it can be washed into the storm sewer system.
  • Always follow the manufacturer's instructions when using pesticides, herbicides or fertilizers on your lawn or garden. Please don't "double the dose" just for good measure.
  • If you have a dog, clean up its waste, and don't allow it to pollute storm water runoff. You can properly dispose of pet waste by flushing it down the toilet or placing it in the trash for regular pickup.
  • Use water-based paints such as latex and wash paintbrushes in the sink with water. When using paint thinner, reuse and recycle it. Never pour unused paint or paint thinner into a storm drain.
  • Regularly maintain your car and fix any oil, radiator or transmission leaks as soon as you see them. Also, consider using a commercial car wash, instead of washing at home. The runoff from home car washing can contain detergents that are harmful to aquatic life.
  • Use non-toxic alternatives to conventional household cleaners whenever possible. Contact the Volusia County Solid Waste Management District for more information.
  • Educate your family, friends and neighbors about storm water pollution. Spread the word.
  • If you see a potential storm water quality problem, please call the City of DeLand Public Works Department at 386-626-7190. Remember, water pollution is everyone's concern.

How to Contact Us

For questions or to report a drainage issue, contact James Dillon, Public Works Department at:

1102 S Garfield Avenue
Phone: 386-626-7184
Fax: 386-736-5366

View our Staff Directory